MHFU : the Gunlance path
Hello fellow hunters!
Today, I’ll talk about my favourite weapon, the Gunlance. Pretty exotic weapon, eh?
First, why a Gunlance? The answer is pretty simple, it’s because the first time I saw this weapon, I found it so awesome, I just had to use it! I must say it’s not such an easy weapon to use, though…
One of my very first gunlances.
How to use a Gunlance? Most hunters will say “Just like a Lance, of course!”. Well, this is partly true. At least for its very basic commands and battle technics. Just guard as much as you can, and as soon as you notice an opening, take advantage of it. That’s for basic stuff.
On a more technical side, it’s quite different though. Different reasons for that :
- Shelling. It’s prolly the main difference with the classic Lance. First, it can pass any monster’s defence, so it’s really handy against monsters like Basarios/Gravios and such. Also, it has a better hitting range, which can be pretty valuable against charging monsters, like Rathian or Basarios (you know, always being out of range when they have finished charging, you know how annoying this can be, right?).
- Wyvern Fire. Basically a stronger version of Shelling. Only use it when you’re sure to have 4s to charge the shot, or you’ll prolly get a bad surprise (and you know how bad are bad surprises in MHFU) For instance, a good timing to start chaging it would be when a monster is roaring, or when it’s being distracted. If you’re very good, you could check charge it just after having dodged a wyvern’s breathing attack, ironically (it works pretty well on Gravios after having dodged his energy ray). It also takes 2 min to recharge, so watch your timing.
- The forward thrust. Don’t be fooled, this is an escape move. It has sufficient speed to make you able to escape a breathing/charge attack. It’s quite a nice advantage compared to the Lance, since you can virtually dodge an attack going to any direction. This is a life-saving move, so don’t be scared to abuse it!
- Side steps. Be careful, you can only make 1 side step, instead of 2 with the traditionnal lance.
- Upwards shelling. After an upwards thrust, you can shoot some shelling ammo to the sky, or to some higher-located enemy (flying Rathian/Rathalos? Lao Shan Lung/Shen Gaoren?). Pretty nice to reach unreacheable foes.
I hope this convinced you! Merry hunting with your new weapon!